Sunday, July 19, 2009

birthday week

we celebrated my 25th birthday on wednesday, and chris got me two dozen beautiful roses! we went out to portofino's, a local italian restaurant that liz introduced me to. after spending two weeks in my office with stark white walls and little personality, i went on a mini shopping spree with my birthday money to find some office decor. i wanted a table to put between the two counseling chairs in my office. i also thought some soft lighting would be more relaxing than the fluorescent lights.i've never really liked fake flowers, but with no window i thought i better go fake if i wanted any green in my office. so these hydrangeas from world market grew on me (no pun intended). i also wanted a wall clock so that i'll be able to discreetly keep track of the time during sessions. i liked the retro look of this and thought the red was a nice pop of color. finally, i finished the artwork i started last month. this wasn't exactly what i'd planned - i didn't end up using newsprint or magazines, but i like how creative projects have a way of being spontaneous. the background is acrylic paint, and the collage part is scrapbook paper. if the silhouette looks familiar, it's because my sweet husband volunteered to let me trace his shadow! i'm excited to get more settled in my office, especially as i build up my schedule of individual sessions with clients. i'm enjoying work so far, and i think it's a great fit for me. i am so thankful to have a job that i like!

2 comments:

Erika said...

Love the artwork!! And I think the faux hydrangeas look great...really can't tell they're not real! I think your purchases will go a long way towards making your office your own. And so glad you love your job!

Jamey Droddy said...

Hey Katy,
Happy Late Birthday!! I love the artwork you did!! Also, we have the exact same red clock in our kitchen. We had to buy it recently to replace the one we had that stopped working. I love that clock. We miss you all!!
Mary