Thursday, June 4, 2009

des projets d'art

as promised, i've been starting some art projects before i start my new job (official start date: july 2nd). there is a dear woman that volunteers on thursdays with me at piedmont women's center who makes the cutest greeting cards and sells them for only $1.50. i've bought several from her, and it got me thinking...i used to make all my own cards when i was in college. at the time, it had as much to do with saving money as being creative. i had gotten out of doing it as i'd gotten busier in grad school, but recently i've felt inspired to start again. here are a few cards i made last month:
i also bought a canvas this week at michael's. it's the largest one i've ever gotten, 24 x 20" (they were having a great sale!). is there anything more intimidating to an artist than a blank canvas? i have an idea in mind...my french teacher in high school had this great painting in her home in which the artist incorporated newsprint in the background, under the paint. the idea of a collage-style painting appeals to me, so i'm thinking of using some glossy magazine pages...i'm still not sure what the painting will be of, though...any suggestions?
(eva couldn't resist her curiosity as i took this!)

2 comments:

Erika said...

Hey!!! I currently have one of your cards proudly displayed on my side table! I didn't realize you made it yourself-- awesome! :)

liz said...

i love your cards too! we have them displayed as well, they are gorgeous! i am jealous of your card-making skills :) i am so bad about correspondence, in fact, i am so behind on my thank you notes!! i keep meaning to finish them at work but then work comes up and before i know it it is like 10 p.m. and i am exhausted!