Saturday, March 21, 2009

caring for women

i recently finished training to volunteer at piedmont women's center, a christian pregnancy center with several locations in greenville. i learned about pwc through my church and was interested because it seemed like a great opportunity to use some of my counseling skills while i'm searching for a job. after learning more about the program, i realized it will help me grow spiritually as well. i am really impressed with their approach - they provide resources like free pregnancy tests, ultrasounds, and counseling and strive to respect the woman's autonomy while sharing God's love with her.

at our "graduation" from training, the director gave us lapel pins that were the size and shape of a baby's feet 10 weeks after conception. in the past couple days i have met several people who support this ministry, which is such an encouragement. it turns out the girl who cuts my hair used to volunteer there in high school and attended their fundraising banquet this week. the nurse who read the TB skin test i had to get before starting told me her mom used to volunteer there and went on about what a great place it is. i'm looking forward to getting started soon and appreciate your prayers for me!

3 comments:

Erika said...

Katy, that is so awesome!!! What a cool organization, and I'm sure you will be able to minister as much as you'll be ministered to! You will have to keep us posted on how it's going. And I love the picture-- I assume that is the lapel pin,so is that the to-scale size of the baby's feet at 10 weeks? That's so incredible!!

Katy said...

the picture is actually a medical photo of a real baby's feel at 10 weeks post-conception. the pin was designed by an artist based on this picture.

Anonymous said...

I'm excited about your volunteer position! And free ultrasounds... I could use one of those ;) Just kidding. Trust me, they're expensive (I have to pay all my bills up to my deductible before insurance kicks in, so I see how much they really are!) so that is a really great ministry. We had fun at the Lazy Goat, and Eva is really cute. I'm trying to convince Scott to trade Jake for a smaller dog. :)