Sunday, April 20, 2008

things to be happy about

for my final meeting (read party) with my supervision group from school, we were asked to bring a gift that symbolizes a wish that we have for our fellow counselors as we leave each other. i decided on a little book that a counselor at my internship shared with me called 14,000 things to be happy about. go to the website and click on the "happy house" to get a short list of items from the book (changes every time you refresh). the book is literally a list of 14,000 quaint and wonderful items that make the author (and people she knows) happy. or, as she describes it "the little things that make life worth living." here i should point out the perspective that chris challenged me with: the list may not include the most important thing - Jesus! i can't say for sure since i haven't read the whole book. nevertheless, it has inspired me to start my own list of simple pleasures - all of which are blessings from God. these are a few of my favorite things:

  • having something good to say and saying it
  • sunday afternoon naps
  • color
  • tea, iced or hot
  • handwritten letters
  • lit candles
  • new friends that feel like old friends
  • precision of language
i told chris that if he made his own happy list, the doppler effect would definitely be included! probably hot gas paths, too.

No comments: