Saturday, November 10, 2007

self-care: excuse to play

i can't really start this post without acknowledging that it is my first-ever! i've read a few blogs here and there but never felt like i wanted to commit to writing my own. since this is shared, i guess the burden of being interesting doesn't fall solely on me!

this past week in my internship supervision we discussed one of my favorite counseling topics: self-care! this is counselor speak for "make time for fun". basically, the idea is that we can be more effective at what we do (and less vulnerable to burn-out) if we make time to recharge by doing things we enjoy. i think this concept is relevant to all fields, but counselors are especically good at emphasizing this! so, my assignment was to do something fun this week that i don't do regularly and that i didn't already have planned. i chose to make a dent in one of the four blank canvases i've had lying around for over a year now. so far, i have two gold stripes of paint on a 10x10". hopefully i'll get inspired after my much-awaited trip to the museum tomorrow afternoon!

No comments: